How to leave a gift in your Will
Remembering The Salvation Army in your Will means your compassion can live on and your support can make an even bigger difference.
Your gift will mean we can be there for those who have no one else to turn to, giving many more people the help and hope they need and want. We understand that leaving a gift in your Will is a really important decision but we have information, support and guidance available to make the process as easy as possible.
There are three different types of gift you can make to support the work of The Salvation Army in your Will:
1. A pecuniary legacy is a gift of a sum of money of your choosing (it is possible to add a pecuniary legacy to an existing Will using a simple Codicil document). It’s worth bearing in mind that this type of gift will decrease in value over time as the cost of living increases.
2. You can also leave what's called a residuary legacy. This is a gift of a share or all of what’s left of your estate after all other payments have been made. It’s an effective way of dividing an estate between the people and causes that are important to you and can be more beneficial to charities as the gift won’t decrease in value due to inflation.
3. A specific gift. This could be a gift of anything from a piece of jewellery or a property to a selection of shares. If you’d like to give in this way, we would recommend you contact us so we can discuss your intentions.
If you have any questions or queries, please don’t hesitate to contact our Legacy Team on:
Tel: 0800 144 4774
While it may seem like a daunting prospect, writing or amending a Will to leave a gift to The Salvation Army is actually a very simple and straightforward process. It is the only way to ensure that your wishes are carried out and that family and causes close to you are taken care of.
To make a new Will
Find a solicitor
To find a solicitor that is right for you in your area, you can search a directory of solicitors at The Law Society.
Wording your Will
To help you discuss your wishes with a solicitor, we’ve included some recommended wording for the different types of gift. You can download a copy of the recommended wording.
To ensure that your gift goes to the right place, you need to include our full name and address and registered charity numbers. The details are as follows:
The Salvation Army UK with the Republic of Ireland,
101 Newington Causeway,
- England and Wales: 214779
- Scotland: SC009359
- Republic of Ireland: CHY6399
To update an existing Will
A solicitor will be able to update your Will for you, but you can also add in a pecuniary or specific legacy gift yourself by completing a Codicil and keeping it with your Will in a secure place. Download and print off a Codicil.
Learn how leaving a gift in your Will can help us transform lives all over the UK.
Your kindness can help us help others. Download or request a copy of our simple, free guide to writing your Will.
Administering the estate of a loved one can be difficult, but we're here to help.
Read our FAQs to learn all you need to know about leaving a gift in your Will.