It's closer than you think
The Salvation Army worked with charity partners Afruca and Unseen, as well as the Home Office, to raise awareness of the fact that people were being forced to work as domestic slaves in the UK. By raising awareness of this heinous crime, we hope people will report concerns and in turn help victims escape their situations.
Our confidential referral helpline 0800 808 3733 is available 24/7.
There are signs you can look out for that might indicate someone is being used as a domestic slave, for example:
- Do they never leave the house on their own?
- Do they seem afraid or anxious?
- Do they work in excess of normal hours or seem to be on call 24/7?
- Are they unable to contact their friends or family?
- Has the person ever been harmed? Or are they deprived of decent food, water, sleep or medical care?
- Have they had their Passport or documents taken from them?
- Do they stand out from other members of the family? For example, are they quieter, do they wear worn out clothes, or eat the rest of the family’s leftovers?
Download the flyer on domestic slavery to find out more.
Modern slavery is hidden in plain sight - how can you help?
#askthequestion: is this product or service #slavefree?
Help us raise awareness of this heinous crime by supporting our latest campaigns
We provide specialist support for adult victims of modern slavery.