Toys & Tins Appeal
Transforming Christmas for families in need across Norfolk
For more than 30 years, The Salvation Army has been transforming Christmas for vulnerable families across Norfolk through the Toys & Tins appeal.
Members of the public donate gifts and food for children and families who might otherwise go without at Christmas. Toy parcels and food hampers are then packed and distributed to those in need by Salvation Army volunteers.
How can you get help?
Please contact your local Salvation Army in Norfolk if you need support at Christmas or throughout the year.
For information about referral agency applications please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can you help?
- Donate online via JustGiving
There are limited volunteering opportunities but if you would like to see if there are other ways you can help, or you need further advice about donations, please contact your local Salvation Army in Norfolk.
Ideas for toy donations
For this appeal, we need new, unwrapped toys and gifts for 0-17 year-olds:
- 0-3 years: soft toys, colourful and fun educational toys, cot mobiles, baby clothes, bath toys, CDs of suitable music and nursery rhymes;
- 3-5 years: books, dressing up clothes, cars, lorries, dolls, action figures and soft toys, colourful and fun educational toys, CDs (music, stories and nursery rhymes), suitable DVDS, colouring sets, pencils, crayons, books, puzzles, footballs;
- 5-9 years: dolls and action figures, educational games and toys, stationery (colouring sets, pencils, crayons, school sets), CDs and family friendly DVDs, books, puzzles, word searches, crosswords, skateboards, sports equipment and clothing;
- 9-12 years: games and toys, sports equipment and clothing, stationery, CDs, DVDs, books, T-Shirts, hair ornaments, gloves, scarves, hats;
- 13-17 years: CDs, DVDs, books, toiletries (please try to ensure non-allergic ingredients if possible), gloves, scarves, hats and other fashion accessories.
Ideas for food donations
We would like each hamper to contain:
- A family size Christmas Pudding
- Mince pies
- Savoury snacks
- Dried pasta or rice
- Tinned meat or fish
- Tinned fruit
- Tinned soup
- Tinned baked beans
- Tinned vegetables
About the appeal
As a church and charity, The Christmas Story inspires us to care for people who are vulnerable or in need throughout the year and especially during the festive season.
We work with local agencies to reach people in need of support. Families and individuals can be referred or refer themselves to the appeal and we then arrange for appropriate toy parcels and food hampers to be delivered.
In the 1990s the appeal evolved from a Norwich-centred initiative to encompass the whole of Norfolk and gained support from BBC Radio Norfolk.
BBC Radio Norfolk acts as a media partner, promoting the appeal as a community endeavour, while The Salvation Army remains responsible for the delivery of the appeal.
Help us be there to support the most vulnerable members of society.
Support the Christmas Present Appeal by finding your nearest Salvation Army and donating.
The Salvation Army has seen a 37 per cent increase in referrals from social services.
Generous donations from across the county bring Christmas joy to struggling families.